Range report .243 win

beerbucksducks

Beginner
Dec 1, 2014
Lately I've been developing a load for my Ruger Hawkeye in .243. I had a solid load with 85 TSX for this rifle that I have killed 4 or so deer with in the past but decided to give the 95 ballistic tip a try. My first range session had me testing increasing charges of h4350. I had a couple solid groups and I landed on 40.5 as my charge weight.
e1c401099f370b8b894eb37293a04717.jpg

After I loaded up a few more rounds of the 40.5 load it opened up to about an inch. Figuring I could tighten it back up I started testing seating depths. I tested 5 different depths over the past few weeks and I watched my groups continually shrink as the bullet was seated deeper. My last COAL was close to book length at 2.657 and produced the following group at 100 yards. I think I'm gonna leave this one alone now. 40.5 gr. H4350, CCI 200, Winchester brass, and the 95 ballistic tip.
3101e619689b15f9b598326278736781.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 40.5 grain charge does look good. I should imagine this load will serve you very well with deer. I need to do some work on the .243 lurking in the dark recesses of my safe. This may be a good powder/bullet combination to consider.

I have not. I'm waiting on the tax return so I can buy a magneto speed. Once that happens I will be checking all my loads

That accuracy is hard to ignore, but I'm betting you are running 2900-2950fps. Nothing to sneaze at but there is probably room to go up if you want. I'm running 43gr of H4350 for 3150fps out of a 26" barrel.

I didn't see any pressure signs when I worked up to 42. The accuracy with the higher charges seemed to open up, although I didn't test them at any other seating depths. Sub moa at 2900 would be plenty of medicine for Washington whitetails. I will run them over the chrono when I get it and see where I'm at. Thanks for the input.

That is definitely an accurate load and I would agree that is more than enough for blacktails. Love blacktailed deer I use a 260 Rem but in truth the 243 is every bit as good for them.

I ran this load over the magneto speed today and got an average of 2780 and an ES of 38. So there's quite a bit of room to go up but I'm going to leave it as is for now.

Nice load, good accuracy.

My son and I have had great success with the 95 grain Ballistic Tip from a 6mm Rem, running about 3,000 fps mv. In recent years he's taken deer from about 20 yards out to 300 yards, each with only one shot.

Enjoy!

Guy

All looks good! One thing I appreciate is that you obviously pay attention to method and you know how to shoot!! We all see many group pictures that make one wonder "Is it the rifle, the load, or the shooter?" And some folks make major decisions to change barrels, components, complete rifles even when the real problem is between the ears. Nobody on our forum am I referring to. :grin:
EE2

I worked up a load using 42 grs. H4350 with the 95 Nos. BT and it will group 3/8 in my .243 Husky. No pressure signs. Looking forward to letting my grandsons use it this coming deer season. PaPa might take it hunting too! Dan.

Back