220gr Sierra & 200gr Accubond - 8mm RM bullet & load test

DrMike":1ssyz8ee said:
Oh, yeah, and if they don't come up with a 220 grain PT, I'll shortly be shooting Woodleigh 220s in my 325WSM. :shock: Nosler can't let that happen.

Mike any idea how the woodleigh bullets hold up? Impact vel is 2700-1900 and RN too boot.

I purchased a few boxes, intending to load them up. My guess, based on previous experience with the Woodleighs, is that they will perform very well indeed. Whilst I was less than ecstatic about using a RN, they will work well out to reasonable ranges, I suspect. I may have a report by fall.

The RN portion has me stopped at trying them but like you said at reasonable ranges RN's sure do put a hurt on things and seem to always mushroom very well.

For what it's worth I sent Mike (bullet) a 220 hornady to jug test. Shipped it off today and i hope he don't loose it as he said he only needed 1.

Bill

The 220 Hornady is getting rare. I have some 195 grain Interlocks, but I see no advantage over the 200 grain Partitions, so I've never loaded any.

DrMike":2xg84w6i said:
The 220 Hornady is getting rare. I have some 195 grain Interlocks, but I see no advantage over the 200 grain Partitions, so I've never loaded any.

Only advantage I see (if things are equal bullet wise, or close too) is price per bullet.

I'm not uncomfortable using the Hornady Interlock, I've used the 250 grain .358 to take bison. It works. The Partition gives me a little edge when things are perfect, however. I do shoot a lot of Hornady bullets, however, and they are good bullets.

DrMike":i21sb7r6 said:
I'm not uncomfortable using the Hornady Interlock, I've used the 250 grain .358 to take bison. It works. The Partition gives me a little edge when things are perfect, however. I do shoot a lot of Hornady bullets, however, and they are good bullets.

IMO the Hornady interlock is one of the best "non premium" bullets one can use.

Bill

Bill,
I apologize, because you called me out now, everyone is in the Don Buddy Club starting today. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The 8mm has always had an appeal to me due to my Dad owning his all these years. I really like the .323 Caliber. The 8-Mag. is in a class by itself.

Dr. Mike,
Looking forward to your range report with a 225 bullet. I don't have much knowledge on the 325 WSM. What projected velocity would you expect to see? Is the recoil substantial comparing
the 8-Mag vs the 325 WSM?

Don

Don it's quite alright, ship happens but I'm sure others will be grateful for your generosity to include them, along with myself in the "Don Buddy Club". :grin: :mrgreen:

Don,

The 8RM has more recoil by virtue of a longer powder column and more powder. I should be able to get 2700 fps with the 225 grain Speer or the 227 grain Norma.

DON":1gimwzs2 said:
Is the recoil substantial comparing
the 8-Mag vs the 325 WSM?

Don

I can not speak of the 325 but the 8mm is more than willing beat ya black and blue, if you let it.

Recoil on the 325WSM is comparable to the 300WSM, which isn't too bad at all.

Dr. Mike and Bill,
Even at 2700 fps that 225 has some impressive killing power given the caliber too.
I imagine the 8-Mag would be similar in recoil to my 300 RUM with 200 bullets wouldn't it?

Don

With 220 grain bullets, Winchester's eight does strike a mighty blow on moose and elk. In fact, it works very well with 200 grain bullets. There would be somewhat more free recoil on the 8RM than on your300WM, primarily because of the increased powder charge.

The 300 Rum has 3 ft pounds more recoil with a 200gr bullet than a 8mm Rem mag with a 200gr bullet.

I know this much after about 5 shots from the bench I get fatigued shooting my gun with 200 AB.

Don

DrMike":r9w3fefe said:
I purchased a few boxes, intending to load them up. My guess, based on previous experience with the Woodleighs, is that they will perform very well indeed. Whilst I was less than ecstatic about using a RN, they will work well out to reasonable ranges, I suspect. I may have a report by fall.

What about these ones? They are Protected Points and have a decent looking profile.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161505 ... -box-of-50

Those would work just fine, Scotty. I just checked, and I do have a box of those. I had forgotten about them. I believe they will get a "look-see."

Yeah, I haven't ever fired a Woodleigh bullet. Seems like they are pretty well made from all I hear. Plus, they have some cool, oddball sizes that would be interesting to play with some.

All this darned 8mm talk... Just isn't good for me. Gotta see if I can talk the wife into a 325WSM for her elk rifle! I imagine she might let me shoot it a little, at least for some load work?

I do like my 325WSM, and when I've used Woodleigh bullets in the past, they performed quite well. They are one of the few firms to produce .287 bullets for use in the .280 Ross. They do not give them away, however. By the time they reach North America and travel north to Canada, they are somewhat dear.

Back