220gr Sierra & 200gr Accubond - 8mm RM bullet & load test

DON":3aikhq0h said:
I know this much after about 5 shots from the bench I get fatigued shooting my gun with 200 AB.

Don

I can go 21 rounds of 200gr Accubonds pretty well and still control my shooting techniques. I am use to the trigger now but I don't push myself beyond 21 rounds and when I get past 15 rounds I really focus on my target and cross hairs mentally tuning out the recoil or it will effect my shooting, but I have done this so much that I am able for at least 21 rounds to tune it out and still shoot fairly good.

You 8mm mag guys are messing with a very powerful cartridge.

There was a point as a younger fellow, when I thought it would be pretty cool to hunt with a 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem mag and the 8mm Rem mag as well... Figured that would pretty well cover North America. And most of the world for that matter.

Good test, and I'm not surprised by the performance of the AccuBond, not at all.

Going to post the results over in the 8mm bullet test section as well?

Guy

Guy Miner":3dn5fo4z said:
You 8mm mag guys are messing with a very powerful cartridge.

There was a point as a younger fellow, when I thought it would be pretty cool to hunt with a 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem mag and the 8mm Rem mag as well... Figured that would pretty well cover North America. And most of the world for that matter.

Good test, and I'm not surprised by the performance of the AccuBond, not at all.

Going to post the results over in the 8mm bullet test section as well?

Guy

Yes, I will do that today :mrgreen:

Don what recoil pad does your 300 rum have?

I can say this about the 8mm. When my 8mm had the factory recoil pad or rock on the stock the felt recoil was not that enjoyable. Now after installing a limbsaver the felt recoil was dropped considerably and I can shoot quite a few rounds before getting tired.

GM you are right the 8mm mag does have lots of power, that is why I struggled with keeping the 300 rum.

Bill

OU812":61r6x72b said:

I can say this about the 8mm. When my 8mm had the factory recoil pad or rock on the stock the felt recoil was not that enjoyable. Now after installing a limbsaver the felt recoil was dropped considerably and I can shoot quite a few rounds before getting tired.

GM you are right the 8mm mag does have lots of power, that is why I struggled with keeping the 300 rum.

Bill

Bill, what do you have on your 8mm Rem for optics? Have you ran it out long at all? Seems like it would be a blast seeing what it does on the long range a little as well.

Scotty I have a Zeiss rapid Z 800 4.5-14x44 setting on top. I've shot out to 600 yards with it but no farther. Might get out and shoot 600 and farther here some time soon, we'll see.

Bill

OU812":qwn3j0sz said:

Bill

An 8mm Rem Mag will drive the 200gr bullet well past 3100fps as will the 300Rum, but does with with a 24" instead of a 26" barrel and it's cross section is greater than the 300Rum. Being able to run along side a 300Rum with a 200gr bullet in comparison is a testimony to the 8mm Rem mags power.

bullet":1vpu9m3d said:
OU812":1vpu9m3d said:

Bill

An 8mm Rem Mag will drive the 200gr bullet well past 3100fps as will the 300Rum, but does with with a 24" instead of a 26" barrel and it's cross section is greater than the 300Rum. Being able to run along side a 300Rum with a 200gr bullet in comparison is a testimony to the 8mm Rem mags power.

That is why I like mine so much.

OU812":2wl7oqh7 said:
Scotty I have a Zeiss rapid Z 800 4.5-14x44 setting on top. I've shot out to 600 yards with it but no farther. Might get out and shoot 600 and farther here some time soon, we'll see.

Bill

AH!! Yeah, that is a great set up. Does it line up pretty well with your 8RM ballistics to make most of the cross lines useable Bill?

SJB358":g70m5g2a said:
OU812":g70m5g2a said:

Bill

AH!! Yeah, that is a great set up. Does it line up pretty well with your 8RM ballistics to make most of the cross lines useable Bill?

That scope will line up with any caliber or ballistics. They have a program you plug in your load info and it spits out the scope magnification power you need to be on for the line to be on at the various ranges. None are exact for example the 500 yard line may be 497yards ,700 line may be 702.

The only down side I see with it is if you run a higher BC bullet, 30 cal .588 AccuBond at 3170fps @ say 4000 ft when you calc the scope mag setting it tells you to either use a higher magnification scope or slower load.

Bill,
I believe it is a limb saver recoil pad. I have to look again as I changed stocks a while back.

Don

SJB358":1t0l0tir said:
OU812":1t0l0tir said:

Bill

It lines us perfectly and makes all of them useful according the the ballistic program but my friend who has a place we can shoot out to 600yds will help me tweak my 200yds zero a an inch or so one way or the other making sure the bullet, the rifle, ballistic program and me or on board together, but as I said the ballistic program has all my points connecting with a 200yds zero.

Well, today is revealing indeed all accept me changing my OAL and opening up my group to over twice the size it was Friday. You know, sometimes I need to leave somethings a lone. Now that said, here are my velocities from two different groups this morning and they are not over max (you can see by looking at my brass). I am going to adjust my OAL back to were it was 3.600" and continue to work up one tenth of a grain at a time till I get near or at max for my rifle.

Here are pictures of my chronograph readings, brass fired for highest velocity average and my group that needs the OAL adjusted back to where it was. This is very significant, considering I have a 24" barrel, and a greater cross section of my 200gr bullet than a 200gr bullet out of a 300Rum.

f91c53b4.jpg

e25eb9db.jpg

ad6c2052.jpg

9c8fcc2d.jpg

Guy Miner":3sfztzpp said:
That's a rompin', stompin' load - but ya still missed the tape... :grin:

Yes, can you believe it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Man that really bugged me that I changed my OAL, but I will be heading back to the range in a week or so and we will see :mrgreen:

I crack up when I'll be showing off a braggin' size group, an inch or two above the bullseye - and somebody tells me "But you missed."

They're right too... Use wider tape!

Guy Miner":ucx42p6r said:
I crack up when I'll be showing off a braggin' size group, an inch or two above the bullseye - and somebody tells me "But you missed."

They're right too... Use wider tape!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike that is just crazy velocity with the 8mm and a 24 in barrel.

Bill

OU812":1yzlu6b3 said:
Mike that is just crazy velocity with the 8mm and a 24 in barrel.

Bill

Yes, this thing will be a sledge hammer this fall :mrgreen: You should hear the loud and distinct crack that returns to the bench when my bullet hits the wet dirt behind my target. Very impressive sound.

Bullet,
Holy Smokes now that is incredible velocity. I'm sure as you tweak the COL and give her some TLC the groups will come in alignment too. Great job buddy. Is that velocity with RL-25?

Don

Back